Mas_turbantes Man dies from too much anti-diarrhea medication

Man dies from too much anti-diarrhea medication

532
0
SHARE

A Pennsylvania man reportedly died after taking too much anti-diarrhea medication.

Medical examiners said this week that 29-year-old Arjun Patel’s death in November was caused by loperamide poisoning, news station KDKA reported.

Loperamide, also known as Imodium, is an over-the-counter medication used to reduce the frequency of diarrhea, according to the FDA.

Officials have not revealed how much was in the Fox Chapel resident’s system when he died.

Earlier this year, the FDA warned about the dangers of the drug and released guidelines to promote its safer use.

Those who purchase the drug over the counter should not take more than 8 mg a day, according to the agency. If a patient has a prescription, the maximum dosage advised is 16 mg per day.

“Patients and consumers should only take the dose of loperamide directed by your health care professionals or according to the [over the counter] Drug Facts label, as taking more than prescribed or listed on the label can cause severe heart rhythm problems or death,” the FDA said.

 

NY POST

SHARE