An Ohio police chief learned the hard way that you can’t save someone who doesn’t want saving — when he discovered that a woman used his business card to snort heroin, just days after he tried to get her help.
Canal Fulton Police Chief Douglas Swartz shared the tragic story on Facebook early Monday, along with a plea for people to stay away from drugs.
“There is a message I would like to spread to everyone today,” Swartz said. “Heroin users are walking amongst us in the thousands and dropping like flies. Libraries, public bathrooms, parks, in vehicles at intersections, and even sidewalks are common scenes where heroin addicts are collapsing the very second after ingesting this drug.”
According to police, the 47-year-old woman had been using the Chief Swartz’ business card to snort heroin at her home in Canal Fulton on Sunday.
She was later “found by a household member in her room passed out,” cops said.
“She was standing with both feet on the ground and leaning over the bed, however, from her waist up she was not touching the bed,” the member described to the officers.
After finding the woman, Swartz said the individual noticed “white powder” spilled on the counter in the bathroom, along with other paraphernalia.
According to the chief, he had been at her residence “just days earlier” — notifying the homeowner to contact another police agency in regards to the woman’s drug use.“Thinking he was doing a good thing, he scooped up the powder with his bare hands, along with the paraphernalia, and transported her and the evidence to the Canal Fulton Police station where she was checked out,” Swartz explained, adding that the woman “admitted to Police officers that she did snort heroin.”
Swartz even wrote his contact info on the back of the business card, to ensure that she got the right help.
“It was this business card that was rolled up and used for the purposes of ingesting the heroin that he collected from the scene and brought to the police station,” Swartz said. “It is very important NOT to do what this household member did today, and that is touch this drug. Fentanyl is 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine and just a quarter of a milligram, which is just a few granules, can kill you. Carfentanil, which has reared its ugly head in Canal Fulton a few times, is much, much worse.”
Swartz recalled an incident where a local cop was exposed to the drug and almost died after he wiped some powder off his uniform with his bare hands.
“Luckily he was surrounded by fellow officers who administered naloxone and saved his life,” Swartz said.
Due to a new Ohio law, authorities did not arrest the woman — and instead ordered her to seek treatment in lieu of arrest. She will be charged, though, with felony drug possession, should she not comply within 30 days.
“We are in a bad situation in America today as 52,000 of us have lost our lives to a drug overdose in 2015 alone,” Swartz said. “It is reported that just one specific county in Ohio has THOUSANDS of children in foster care homes or placed in other agencies with parents who fell victim of the heroin addiction and no longer alive today to help guide the children into adulthood. Freezer trucks are being mobilized and brought into County Morgues to house the thousands of fatal overdoses.
“Doesn’t this sound like something in the future?” the chief added. “An epidemic of some sort brought about by terrorist? Well sadly, it is not the future’s fault and not the terrorist. It is today, here and now, and most of it is our own poor decisions that have brought us to this point. Canal Fulton, you are no stranger either. Many overdoses have occurred here in our quaint little city and possibly many more to come.”
Swartz finished his post by urging residents to reach out to their local rehab and treatment centers for help.
“Thank you for reading and sharing and most importantly….for caring,” he said.
Credit: NY Post